The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin (KUL) is the oldest university in Lublin and one of the oldest in Poland. It was established in 1918 on the initiative of Rev. Idzi Radziszewski, who became its first Rector. At the beginning of the University’s operation its task was to serve God and Fatherland – Deo et Patriae. Over nearly 100 years of its history, KUL has become one of the most prominent centres of Catholic teaching, and influenced the shape of Polish science and culture, wining acclaim in the country and abroad.
The present-day KUL is open to civilisational and scholarly challenges. The University educates its students at the following faculties: the Faculty of Theology, the Faculty of Law, Canon Law and Administration, the Faculty of Philosophy, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences, the Faculty of Mathematics, IT and Landscape Architecture, the Off-Campus Faculty of Legal and Economic Sciences in Tomaszów Lubelski, and the Off-Campus Faculty of Law and Social Sciences in Stalowa Wola. Within the organisational structure of the University there are also other scientific units, including the Institute of Lexicography, and the College of Interdisciplinary Individual Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as non-scientific entities, e.g. the Open University and the School of Polish Language and Culture.
KUL also conducts wide-ranging publishing activities, and is the only university in Poland that publishes encyclopaedias: the Universal Encyclopaedia of Philosophy developed by a team of academics from the Faculty of Philosophy and the Catholic Encyclopaedia.
In total the University educates 14,061 individuals in 39 courses (as at 30 November 2014), including 12,389 students (11,364 in full-time studies and 1025 in part-time studies) and 1672 PhD students (1274 in full-time studies and 398 in part-time studies).